The word “digital” is becoming more relevant in recent times than ever before. The shift is a result of the world becoming a digital village. The concept of digital design gives creativity a new meaning.
What Is Digital Design?
It is just like any design that is created primarily to be viewed on-screen. In other words, it is the act of making creative content for interaction on various types of screens.
This is a broad roof that accommodates a lot of other concepts. A lot of digital creativity involves designs. Consequently, the definitions of digital design don’t capture what it entails.
Nevertheless, as a designer, the idea is an immeasurable asset. Regardless of if you are a UI/UX designer or a graphic designer. As long as you are making designs for screen purposes, you need to understand the full concept of digital design.
Difference between Digital Design and Graphic Design
For an average person, digital design and graphic design appears entirely the same. However, for a designer or an intending designer, it is crucial to understand the differences. Although both share the similarity of creativity, they still have major differences.
The first vital difference between these two designs is the presentation. Graphic designs deal with static presentations. On the other hand in digital design, the presentation involves sound and movement.
The interaction of graphic design with a screen is mostly static with visual effects. Typical examples of graphic designs are magazine covers, logos, and other images. They are just the way you create them when they appear on the screen.
Digital design, on the other hand, includes sound effects and movements in their display. Typical examples of these include animations, movies, and other interactive elements.
Overall, they do not only exhibit visual arts. It also includes audio and sound effects. Therefore, digital designs can be more interactive than graphic designs.
Also, graphic design is basically for contents that can be printed. Digital design, on the other hand, is for screen interaction. Nevertheless, it is normal to mix these two up because they have a lot of overlapping points.
An excellent digital design relies on crucial skills from graphic designs. Graphic designs deal with all elements that serve as a template for digital design.
Types of Digital Design and When to Use Them
One of the key concepts of these designs is visual communication. It uses both visual and audio effects to create effective communication in the best way possible. There are several types of designs with different uses.
The types include;
- Co-operate Design: This type of design that is specifically for official purposes. They are the visual identities of brands and organizations. They are useful for all official purposes. They can even include official advertisements and brand awareness concepts.
- Environmental design: Environmental digital design is mostly useful in construction, architecture, and transportation. A typical example is the graphics used to communicate safety and traffic on trains.
- Web Design: Web design is an important type of digital design. Webs developers use a lot of these concepts. Web design is useful for a wide range of purposes, including business and education.
- Interfaces: The creation of interfaces is an essential concept in digital design. The creation of interfaces is commonly known as UI/UX design. UI is an acronym for user interface, while UX stands for the user experience. Both concepts are essential in the creation of interactive designs. It is particularly useful in the development of mobile apps and websites.
- Video Games Designs: Video games are one of the concepts of digital design that uses motion. It is very interactive and mostly useful for entertainment and competition. These design creation for video games needs to be very attractive and interactive.
- Animations: An animation is an essential form of digital design. It can be an effective illustration of various purposes. It is highly interactive and useful for advertisement, information, and so on.
What Makes It Successful?
The success or failure of any design is highly dependent on its final outlook. Some crucial factors contribute to the success of this design. The absence of these factors will make a design to lose its core value. Also, the design might not eventually fulfill its potential.
The elements that make it successful include;
- Level of interaction and communication
- Color combination
- Lines, spacing, and arrangements
Future Of This Design
Digital design skills are a valuable addition for any existing or intending designer. The world is fast becoming a digital village. It is gradually becoming a world where every essential interaction appears on the screen.
However, what the world is experiencing is just the beginning of many that will come. The relevance of this design and its entire concept will continue to skyrocket. In the nearest future, the world will become a place where no one can live without interacting with digital designs.
The relevance of digital design in the modern world cannot be overlooked. It is useful in various sectors, including business, education, and health sectors. This is a broad roof that accommodates several other similar concepts, including graphic design.
These designs highly deal with interaction and illustration. It is slightly different from graphic designs. Graphic designs deal with a static presentation. This design incorporates audio and other elements that improve interaction.
You can also check our Graphic design magazine with tutorials, resources, and inspiration.